• 8 months ago

    Severe back pain help?

    Ok so I’ve had acute back pain for the past couple of years but lately it has gotten so much worse. It’s mostly mid and lower but it’s hard to pin point one exact spot. Sometimes the pain spreads to my ribs and I also have been experiencing some abdominal pain which may or may not be related. The back pain is a severe achy dull feeling and nothing helps. I’m a young teen and super active in sports so I’m pretty sure it’s nothing to do with that, I’ve tried doing back stretches, taking anti inflammatorys but they don’t seem to help. Also may I add the back pain is during the day but at night when I try to sleep it is so much worse. I don’t know if it’s just because I’m laying down but it’s a lot worse at night and wakes me up sometimes or keeps me from being able to fall asleep. Any advice ?


  • 8 months ago

    RE: Severe back pain help?

    I am sorry you are going through this and fully understand. You can read my full story by clicking on my avatar picture or user name.

    You need to see a doctor for an accurate diagnosis. Start with your primary doctor, then he/she may refer you to a specialist such as a neurosurgeon, orthopedic surgeon, or pain management specialist.

    If you don't have a primary doctor, then go to a walk-in urgent care clinic. If finances are an issue, then go to a local hospital emergency room. Just realize that an ER will only help with pain temporarily. If it is something serious causing your symptoms you will have to see a specialist.

    For temporary relief, you can try over the counter pain medications such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxin or aspirin. Just be sure to take only the recommended dose. You can also try taking a warm shower focusing the water on you back, then use an ice pack for 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off. While you are in the shower is a good time to try some stretches.

    I pray you find answers and relief soon.

  • 8 months ago

    RE: Severe back pain help?

    You may have spinal stenosis which is a narrowing of the spine, or spinal spondylosis which is an umbrella term that describes pain, usually from degenerative conditions of the spine, and is the stiffening of the spine as a result of disease. Now, mine started out as a back ache here, and a back ache there, and mine just got progressively worse and now I need surgery to correct it.

    The thing is, these are degenerative processes of of the spine, and they can be inherited, meaning that it runs in the family, as in my case. Now, with that being said, you usually won't get these until you're around 50-70 years of age or so, and as active as you are, I don't think you're in that category, however anything is possible. With that being said, since mine is inherited, mine was accelerated and I started having symptoms at 37 years of age. I am now 42.

    You stated in the symptoms that sometimes the pain spreads to your ribs. Do you find it hard to take a deep breath or have issues with swallowing. I ask this because with me, my thoracic joint at C8-T1 acts up, and when it does, I have issues with swallowing, I feel like food is going down while air is trying to go up, and I have issues catching my breath.

    I found out that I can relieve this by standing in a doorway, putting a pillow between my back and one side of the doorway, and just push until I hear or feel it pop. within 30 seconds it's like it never happened. This works quite well for me, and it may help you get yours under control if it is the thoracic. Usually I put the pillow mid back first and I pop it, then I drop the pillow lower and I pop that one, and it disappears.

    Now, like the previous post suggested, see your primary care doctor, describe the symptoms as you did here, and they'll do an x-ray or mri of your spine. From there they're going to start you on stronger pain meds and possibly steroid injections. Then they will start you with a chiropractor, Physical therapy, or both. If you still have the issues, then they will probably put you in surgery to correct it, as in my case.

    A sure fire way to find out if it is your thoracic joint or not, is to eat Roman noodles, macaroni, or some other pasta. Those foods usually cause my thoracic to act up and go crazy. I feel like I'm choking when I do this, so use extreme caution. When I had my upper respiratory infection, they found out that I had a thoracic joint that was degenerated as well.

    These are my symptoms and this is how I get around them until I have surgery on my back. But, I would strongly recommend trying to pop your back first as I described. If the pain and other symptoms go away, then you could have spinal issues that will need to be addressed by your primary doctor.
  • RE: Severe back pain help?

    Forget Web MD see a proffessional!

    <a href=" https://khohealth.com/shin-splints-from-walking-and-what-to-do-about-them/ Splints Walking</a>