• 12 days ago

    Worried mom

    I have a adult son with mental illness living in my home. He refuses any long term hospital stay. But it is more then needed. I believe he is using adderall to help him think and write. But the adderral is causing him to become more psychotic. He hears voices. He argues with them sometimes screaming at them. He claims they are hurting him physically, screams in pain. He thinks he has someone maybe the government who is useing mindcontrol on him. He is being treated by a dr at the local health dept. He see's him monthly and is being prescribed scicotic medications for schizophrenia. His need for adderrall is in my opinion in the way of his treatment. But i cannot get him to stop useing it. What can i do to help him? I feel he needs to be in a hospital or in house long term care at a rehab . to clean this drug out of his system and allow him to see for himself that he is much better without it. What can i do to get him this help? He is a adult .


  • 6 days ago

    RE: Worried mom

    I would call the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) - you can have a look at their website here https://www.nami.org/

    Who We Are
    NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.

    What started as a small group of families gathered around a kitchen table in 1979 has blossomed into the nation's leading voice on mental health. Today, we are an association of more than 500 local affiliates who work in your community to raise awareness and provide support and education that was not previously available to those in need.

    They have a helpline 1-800-950-NAMI (6264) or info@nami.org

    The NAMI HelpLine can be reached Monday through Friday, 10 am–6 pm, ET.

    I'm not 100% sure they would be able to give you some direction, but if anyone can, they would! If not them directly, I'm sure they could lead you in the right direction.

    You could also contact any of your local mental health facilities, but I would contact NAMI first.

    Oh, you can go to this page on their site to find a local NAMI

    I hope this helps!