• over 3 years ago

    RE: child abuse

    Hi, Thank you for reaching out on this board, especially with a topic as sensitive as this. I will start off by saying that if you believe your granddaughter is in immediate danger, it is important that you contact the proper authorities, such as Child Protective Services, as soon as possible. You can call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800.656.HOPE (4673). You’ll be connected to a staff member from a local sexual assault service provider who will walk you through the process of getting help and reporting to law enforcement.

    Sexual abuse in children (especially ones who are still too young to speak) is serious and can be hard to spot. Have there been signs that got you worried? Are you able to talk to your granddaughter's parents about your fears? Or are they your cause for concern? If you don't believe that she is in immediate danger and her parents are not the ones that you believe are causing her harm, I think it's important that you speak with them about your concerns before you take steps to contact authorities.

    RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network) is a resource that is available to you. They have both a safe helpline and a live chat, where you can speak with someone about what you fear is happening to your granddaughter. They can also point you toward any next steps that you should take. This article from their site has more information about the signs a child may be being harmed, what you should do before reporting expected abuse, and how to report it:

    These two articles have some more information that you may also find helpful. The first is an overview of some of the signs of sexual abuse in children ( .

    The second has more information about what to do if you think a child is being abused (